For recent blog posts please click http://theovertickingbrain.wordpress.com/

.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

India is a PHUNNEE place I tell you! :)

Recently, at a so-to-speak family reunion, an interesting conversation took place. Sitting in the Drawing Room face-to-face wondering what to talk about, guess who came up with the topic :P
*TAKING A BOW* ;D

Well, Bugs (The voice in my head, remember?) has always found names very fascinating. Different types of names people keep in different corners of the globe. But, that day, Bugs felt like doing a bit of deep digging right here at home – Sadda India! :D

So, Bugs’ words in my voice:
(Please note that I am nowhere in the conversation ;D)

BUGS: It’s so funny sometimes, how people keep their children’s names. I mean like, don’t they THINK? (Please don’t take offence, Bugs gets a little..umm..bhaawuk at times :P)

RELATIVE 1: (No names to protect identity ;)) Yeah, it’s pretty funny. (This relative is a teacher) When I take attendance in class, I say “Taranpreet” expecting one of the boys to react, and there – a girl’s hand shoots up in the air!

BUGS: These names toh I anyway don’t understand. Matlab SERIOUSLY, World mein naam khatam ho gaye they kya?? Damapreet, Taranpreet, Gyandeep! All these Preets and Geets and Meets! It’s SO confusing!! You just can’t tell whether it’s a guy or a girl! It’s like match the following:
TARAN DEEP
DAMAN PREET
CHAMAN MEET
And there’s never a wrong answer!

RELATIVE 2 (Who happens to be wedded to my father): Yeah, Sikhs don’t discriminate among genders naa!! That’s why!

BUGS: Yeah, Mom! I believe you! *Rolling eyes*

RELATIVE 1: Oh! There is one kid, called KHUNKHAAR SINGH! Really! At first I thought everybody teased him with that name, but then his partner told me, “Ma’am, register mein dekho – yehi hai uska naam!”
*BUGS FAINTS*

RELATIVE 2: Oh my God! Parents sochte nahi hain kya!! KHUNKHAAR SINGH?? Hey bhagwaan!
Hearing the name again revives the little devil. Bugs can’t afford to miss another second of this conversation.
BUGS: Punjab is funny! *Gets a slap from me* every second person is either Baby or Chimpu Or Babbu or Guddu! And mind you, it’s again sex-no-bar! In my “Punjab Gang” there are 2 Ravi’s – one male one female. There are two Manu’s – one 23 years old, and one I don’t know how old. There are two Cherry’s – one in final year college and one – an aunty. I mean, HOW in the world is one poor brain supposed to know who is being talked about in which context!! Now THAT’S something!!
*I think to myself: Hey, Bugs is making sense for the first time ever..”
On a serious note (Just kidding), A few people who are somehow faintly acquainted with me are as follows:
There is a gentleman called GAURI whose brother’s name is KALI whose wife’s name is RAVI.
There is another gentleman whose name is Daisy whose cousin is BABY who is a lady.
There is a young lady called GUDDU and so is their local dhobi.
There is one more gentleman, who would actually kill me if he read this – his name turns out to be LUCY.
And, there is ANOTHER gentleman whose name is MADHUBALA! And I SWEAR to God, I’m NOT joking!
*Back to the present*

RELATIVE 3 pipes in there was this Scientist who named his children Electron and Proton!
ZOINK.

RELATIVE 1 (gets up to go to the kitchen) : Oh, ek ladka hai meri class mein – uska naam DIAMOND hai!

*Returns with a tray full of Mixed fruit juice* and everyone is on the floor, laughing like madmen…and women ;)!

India is a phunnee place I tell you! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha...:p
    Ill do it some day ;)
    Meanwhile, read my post before this one - I have a feeling you are going to like it :)

    ReplyDelete