For recent blog posts please click http://theovertickingbrain.wordpress.com/

.

Monday, September 6, 2010

So are you Punjabi ? Or Maharashtrian? Or Tamil?


Okay, so I am on Twitter.. And I follow iamsrk. Yes, since I'm a die-hard fan, I ought to be doing that! So, He's retweeted this one post which says "SRK chandigarh loves you big shout out !! Pls tweet or retweet if you love your north india fans x"

Now I'm thinking, what the HELL is wrong with people in India. I mean, agreed that Chandigarh is in North India, but why make it such an issue? I never knew Geography (that I always failed in) would play such a crucial role in some peoples' lives. Maybe the fact that I always failed actually keeps me from understanding this aspect! And I don;t regret it one bit!

So, this tweet got me thinking about all the reality shows hogging Telly-space these days and how they divide even something as pure as talent into Punjab, Gujarat and Bengal! 

"Agar aapko So-and-So ki performance pasand aayi ho toh Gujarati fans vote karien 57575 par" or after reaching the next round the contestant will say "Main poore Maharashtra ko Thank you bolna chahunga..."

Like really? Are WE the educated class of India? The future of this country who everyone has such high hopes from? Why do we ALWAYS have to get these divides in the midst of everything? 

I recently saw this new Ad of Incredible India on TV. And I loved it. All through our school lives we've been taught 'Diversity in India'
We are a mix of so many cultures! You visit any city, any state and you experience new things, different attire, a different language, different food. But, isn't that supposed to BIND US together? 

Then isn't this practice of introducing ourselves as "Hi,I'm Tanya and I'm from Punjab/Delhi/Gujarat" totally irrelevant? I mean, it really boils down to State-favoritism. Its okay to love a certain place, like, my mum adores Mumbai and I love Jaipur, but that's that man! We don't convert it to Anti-Mumbai or Anti-Jaipurmorchas!

For goodness sake, can't we just be mature for once and take it as another person's point of view rather than making it a political issue? I saw Peepli Live yesterday (Yes, I saw it NOW! - So late) and the CM says "Aap dekhiye Bengal mein kya ho raha hai, Gujarat mein kya ho raha hai, yahaan wahaan kya ho raha hai!"

Isn't that just an escape route from our responsibilities? Or do the citizens of this country really have nothing else to do so they just like to indulge in divide and rule?

Why do we have to stress on our 'State-ality' at all?!? Why can't we just be Indian?  

Or better still - why the Indian / Pakistani / Arab / English divide either?

Can't we just be HUMAN..?

No comments:

Post a Comment