For recent blog posts please click http://theovertickingbrain.wordpress.com/

.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Being Woman...


Sometimes I wonder why this society is the way it is..

I know every society, every country has its goods and bads, positives and negatives; and that is perfectly okay. Evolution is a slow process and I understand that. But there are a few specific things that I personally have an issue with – especially in the Indian scenario.

One thing I just cannot stand, and you could call me whatever you want for that, is gender inequality. In school, I hated this subject – Anything about it. I never understood it and I never bothered to. But now when I come to think of it, I feel so passionately about it, it’s not even funny.

It is sad when I think that these issues are an eminent part of our very own families. And even if I talk just for myself, I would have to admit that even in my own extended family there are a few people who still prefer the male child over the female. And I hate that. It’s not because I am a woman. And it’s definitely not because I have something against the male population of this world. I don’t. What I have an issue with, is the thinking.
Why do people feel that daughters aren’t good enough? Why do they feel that they can’t be as good as the men? Why do they feel that women won’t be supportive towards the elderly after their marriages? And WHY do they feel that women are a BURDEN?

Maybe I am over-reacting. I come from a family background that is VERY open-minded. I have a younger sister and our parents, I know for a fact, are proud of having two daughters. And I respect them for that. That could be the reason for my feeling like this towards ‘the world’. I have never been taught that men are better in any way. I have NEVER been given this feeling that I am NOT capable of something. But I know people who have. And it hurts me. I hurts me to see them breaking and crumbling under the burden of being a woman. I see them trying desperately to cope with this ‘issue’ and I hate it.

Today, I stand here, proud that I was born a woman, and I ask you – What is the problem in being woman? Do we become lesser mortals just because we have the boon of producing life? What is it that women can’t do better than men? On one hand, we pray to Goddess Durga, Kali and the likes, and on the other hand, we don’t want baby girls in our families. What hypocrites we are!

And again I repeat this isn’t a man vs woman, Mars vs Venus fight. It’s just about the thinking..

It’s just about the thinking..

No comments:

Post a Comment