For recent blog posts please click http://theovertickingbrain.wordpress.com/

.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pakode aur Chai :D

For as long as I can remember, the first thing any Indian would think of, when he/she hears the words ‘rains’ or ‘monsoons’ – is ‘Pakode aur Chai’. Yes, although in the recent times ‘Potholes’ have become pretty symbolic too, ‘Pakode and Chai’, like many other traditions in India, have been passed down from one generation to another. Come rains, and wives all over the place would be organizing these ‘pakvaans’. Family members of all age groups – the kids, the husbands and the grandparents would wait impatiently after having said “Pushpaaa/Maa/Bahuuu, iss mausam mein chai aur pakode hon toh mazaa hi aa jaaye”. And so, the poor lady of the house starts finding that godforsaken packet of besan and the chai ki patti.

And as usual, Bugs got thinking (Yeah! The same stupid voice in my head!) – not about the calories, but the fact that maybe this wasn’t really a done thing anymore. He asked me, when was the last time I had pakodas? And believe me, I just could NOT remember! It must have been at a party that had a chaat pakodi theme or something.  So I figured this was one of those times when you see trends changing. I think if it were pouring heavily today, people would probably prefer a chocolate brownie or waffles with maple syrup with a hot cappuccino rather than the good old Pakode and chai! And no, it isn’t about being health conscious! I don’t think the calories matter as much, since the latter is more definitely more fattening than the oil soaked pakode. But I guess over time, tastes have evolved.

Then again, if we’re talking desi versus firang - isn’t Neal Caffery hotter than John Abraham anyway? ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment