For recent blog posts please click http://theovertickingbrain.wordpress.com/

.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Freedom...

What does freedom mean to you? How would you describe it? People talk about big things - freedom of our country, our nation - Politicians thrive on this so called "promise" of freedom, of trying to achieve it, not for themselves, but for their "people". We talk about freedom from terrorism, freedom of speech, freedom of expression. We blame authorities, the government and God knows who all for not having proper security systems. We think, what can WE do as the youth of this country - to be free! Is that one peace rally we participated in enough? or that one group we joined on facebook? Is that all we can do to be free? I really don't know what freedom is.

There are 6 billion people in this world, and 6 billion definitions of freedom. How do we ever expect to achieve this "freedom" when these different definitions, opinions and views are flying around all over simultaneously. Why don't we just hold on a second, and think! What if one day, we are free from all these big issues - terrorism and the likes - are we REALLY free then? I don't think so!

For me freedom is one simple thing. Being able to sleep peacefully at night. That's it! That one thought that today I added some value - to someone's life, made someone laugh, spread a few smiles, helped someone out of a tight spot, and in turn, became a better person - helped MYSELF grow. That one thought that I was just myself - no pretence, no lies, no regrets. I'm not saying we don't get into difficult situations, but, our true character is revealed in times of crisis. Freedom to me is not 'not having any problems'. Freedom to me is believing that I did all that I could to make it okay. Freedom to me is being true to myself - so that when I look at myself in the mirror, I can say that I'm a good human being, and I am right. It's always different - who the world believes you are, and who you really are. In the end it doesn't matter what the world thinks of you. That doesn't matter. What matters is - what you think of yourself. And if you are content with YOURself every night - that's freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment